Sweet Sixteen

Sweet Sixteen

Thursday, July 15, 2010

"Can You Hear Me Now?"

This morning Nadia and I left for the hospital at 7:15am for her ear tube surgery. 
We checked in with the receptionist, filled in all the paperwork, and then they gave us this really cool pager to let us know when to report to the pre-op room.


Nadia thinks it's a video game--is she Americanized yet or what???


I loved seeing "Ferguson, Nadia I." on her hospital wrist band. :)


We had a great time hanging out in our pre-op bay as different nurses and doctors came in to meet Nadia and tell me about the procedure,etc.  Nadia captured quite a few hearts during this time and because of her calm demeanor, it was decided she didn't need the pre-anesthesia that they typically use on kids to calm them down before wheeling them back.

The medicine usually makes children a little "loopy", but honestly, she didn't have any. tee hee

Then it was time to get Nadia used to the mask they would be using to administer the anesthesia.  She did a great job letting me put it over her nose and never once tried to push it away.


However, when I gave her the mask to "get used to it"...


...she found a much better use for it!  Needless to say, they had to get a different one for the actual surgery--one without teeth marks on it!


Dr. Holmes is ready to go and so is Nadia!


I barely had time for a cup of tea and a granola bar before they were calling me back to comfort my sweetie in recovery.  She cried for about 15min. before she calmed down for this picture.  Aww...nothing like being rocked by Mommy to make things all better.


Then it was time to go!  Can you tell who is ready to get out of there???
Do you think she is holding her ears because of her LOUD crying?


We really won't know for sure until her follow-up evaluation on August 13th if she is truly hearing better, but I plan on conducting my own home-grown hearing tests before then. 
This was Nadia 2 minutes after getting HOME!  Yes! She really likes this place-thank God!

Thank you for all of your prayers for Nadia today.  She ate a good lunch and is sleeping peacefully so I'm thankful she came through this morning with flying colors.  Keep on praying for any hearing issues to be completely resolved from this surgery.  Thank you!!!

14 comments:

  1. I am so glad things went well today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for no complications and a cooperative patient. Hoping and praying that this resolves any issues.
    Lisa
    ps-great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for everything going well!! The Skink holds her ears when she cries because it's too loud for her - LOL! She also holds her ears if anyone else is crying, during fireworks and so-on. She's on her 2nd set of tubes and her hearing is GREAT! Hopefully you will see some major improvements in Nadia's hearing also.
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that it went well and is done!

    She's so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurel has tubes as well. Here's to hoping it helps but if not, let me know and I know some GREAT audiologists

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is sooo cute!! I am so glad it went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a blessing from the Lord that she did so very well, friend. PRAYING her hearning is so much better!!!

    She is one adorable little angel, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a precious little punkin she is! So happy to hear that everything went well today and continued prayers for perfect hearing. She is SOOO cute--and those bows don't hurt either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that everything went well. We will be praying for great results. She's such a happy little one, isn't she? And so darn cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm so happy that things went so well! She is such a little trooper. It's so evident how much she trusts you to take care of her and knows you will be there to comfort her.

    I'm hoping and praying that this helps her hearing!

    Much Love,
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  11. So thrilled that everything went well! How sweet it is indeed to see!

    -- Meg D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news to hear that the procedure went well and fast :) Love the pictures! Continued prayers for improved hearing.
    Much love,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kristin and Jim!!! I just looked through your blog and saw the latest pictures of Nadia!! I'm so excited for you guys. You both grace this world with such compassion. I am awed by you and your family.

    I'll write more later. Can't wait to show my mom your blog. I'm at the cabin with my granddaughter right now. Will head over to be with my mom and daughter in a few days.

    love,
    Cousin Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. She should be fine. Mt little guy had the same thing done about 6 months ago. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete